Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Cattle station at Gindie, Queensland

Date: 1900-1920
Dimensions:
Overall: 200 x 151 mm
Medium: Silver gelatin print
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Robert D McKilliam
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: ANMS0227[046]

User Terms

    Description
    A black and white photograph of a very barren landscape showing a stock pen in the foreground where a number of horses are penned,
    The title of the image is 'Cattle station at Gindie' although there is no cattle in the area.
    SignificanceThis image is a part of the Captain Robert McKilliam collection. Captain McKilliam worked for the Aberdeen White Star Line for 32 years and sailed aboard such famous clipper ships as SALAMIS and THERMOPYLAE. He moved to Sydney in 1913 where he served as Assistant Wharf Master on Darling Island.
    HistoryLike most regional areas in Queensland, Gindie was settled by Europeans for agricultural reasons. Although not as large as nearby Emerald, Gindie was the location for a state experimental farm that opened in 1898.
    It was part of an ongoing effort to experiment and possibly introduce more diverse crops with some efforts including maize and pumpkins. The farm was closed in 1932.





    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: View of barren landscape of cattle yard with three small trees at upper centre

    Collection title: Cattle station at Gindie, Queensland

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.