Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Collection of 20 documents relating to the Australian National Line

Date: 1971 - 1983
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Mike Hawkins
Classification:Ephemera
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0337

User Terms

    Description
    This collection of 20 documents relate to the company history of the Australian National Line (ANL) and were collected by Jim Temple, the Branch Manager of ANL at Devonport, Tasmania. They consist of two booklets relating to the ANL; one advertising brochure; 11 ANL journals; one newspaper clipping relating to the ANL silver jubilee; one newsletters relating to Australian Container Transportation Australia Limited (ACTA); one ANL Tasmanian newsletter; one newsletter reflecting the activities of Evans Deakin Industries Ltd; and one Port of Launceston newsletter. The documents span the period 1971 – 1983.
    HistoryThe Australian Federal Government established Australian National Line (ANL) in 1956 to cater for the burgeoning demand for shipping space around Australian ports. It was formed as the Australian Coastal Shipping Commission with the passing of the Australian Coastal Shipping Commission Act. ANL commenced operations with around forty ships previously managed by the Australian Shipping Board, which had been formed by the federal government in 1946.

    The company entered the ferry business in 1959, when Tasmanian Steamers said they would be pulling out of the run. A new Bass Strait ferry was built at the New South Wales Dockyard at Newcastle. The PRINCESS OF TASMANIA was the first roll on/roll off ferry in the southern hemisphere and the largest.

    The new ship and route were such a success for the ANL that they ordered a cargo only ship, the BASS TRADER and then in 1964 a cargo ship the EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA, which operated from Sydney to Hobart. the services were successful and the line introduced a Ro/Pax (roll on/roll off and passenger) in 1969.

    ANL were involved in the 1975 Tasman Bridge disaster in Hobart, Tasmania, as the owner/operator of the LAKE ILLAWARRA, the bulk carrier which collided with the bridge.

    Since the early 1970s ANL moved from primarily coastal shipping to an international shipping container company. In 1974 the Australian Coastal Shipping Commission was replaced by the Australian Shipping Commission.

    In 1976 when ANL announced that AUSTRALIAN TRADER would be withdrawn from service, the crew went on strike. The ship remained idle in Bell Bay, Tasmania for two months, but was eventually laid-up and offered for sale.

    In 1984 ANL announced that they would not be continuing in the ferry business. The ceasing of the ANL's involvement in the passenger trade allowed them to concentrate solely on bulk freight and cargo.

    Despite signficant union protest against the move at the time, the government sold ANL in 1998. The French company CMA CGM bought he naming rights of ANL Limited.

    In 2010, CMA CGM operate over 350 vessels (mostly container vessels) on all of the world's major shipping lanes.

    Additional Titles

    Web title: Collection of 20 documents relating to the Australian National Line

    Primary title: MATERIAL RELATING TO THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL LINE (ANL), COMPRISING OF ELEVEN ANL 'ALL HANDS' NEWSLETTERS, TWO BOOKLETS AND SEVEN MISCELLANEOUS DOCUMENTS

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.