Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Berowra Creek, Hawkesbury River

Date: 1940
Dimensions:
Overall: 89 x 137 mm
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Robert D McKilliam
Classification:Posters and postcards
Object Name: Postcard
Object No: ANMS0227[025]

User Terms

    Description
    A black and white photograph of a river running through a wooded valley. On the bottom right is written 'Berowra Creek, Hawkesbury River, NSW, Australia'.
    A handwritten inscription on the back reads 'Dear K. You will be pleased to see Berowra once again. Hope exam went off all right. Am waiting to hear the results. Rob and D were down corrected to up for the weekend. Much love, take care of yourself. M." The postcard is addressed to 'K McKilliam esq. Lane end Catherine Rd. Newbury Berks. England' and was posted on 23 July, 1940.





    SignificanceThis image is a part of the Captain Robert McKilliam collection. Captain McKilliam worked for the Aberdeen White Star Line for 32 years and sailed aboard such famous clipper ships as SALAMIS and THERMOPYLAE. He moved to Sydney in 1913 where he served as Assistant Wharf Master on Darling Island.
    HistoryThe Berowra Creek is part of the Hawkesbury-Nepean catchment and is located to the north of the Sydney central business district in New South Wales.
    The area, being geographically so close to the first European settlement, was explored in 1789 by Governor Phillip. The local indigenous people who named the area Berowra, meaning "place of many winds, were profoundly effected by this contact. The Cammeray-gal of the Kimilaroi tribe on the north shore and the Darug and Guringai tribes of this area suffered greatly from introduced diseases such as influenza, small pox and syphilis.
    European settlement grew slowly in the are and through the 1930's the region experienced , Berowra’s 'Golden Age of Tourism'. This era was when "steam trains brought, not hundreds to Berowra on the weekend, but thousands. Coaches, hire cars, private cars and buses competed for fares.
    Boarding houses were numerous in Berowra and along Berowra Waters (a new term then for Berowra Creek). There were kiosks, refreshment rooms, a garage, bus depot, a swimming enclosure, boatsheds, tennis courts and maintained picnic grounds. During the 1930s the Berowra Progress Association achieved better rail and road services, town water and electric light. With churches, a bakery, Foster’s very popular general store and Post Office, good bus and train drivers, home deliveries and a personal style of service, Berowra had everything. Many residents from that time remark that they felt very well looked after for all their needs."
    [www.berowrawaters.com/history/Mick Joffe].


    The name, Berowra, is believed to be an Aboriginal word meaning "place of many winds".[ A watercourse about 30km long.
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: Berowra Creek, Hawkesbury River

    Assigned title: View of large river, centre, with wooded banks on either side at the background are hills in the foreground are gum trees and fence possibly Berowra Creek, Hawkesbury river, NSW, Australia

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.