Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Railway station, Southport

Date: 1900-1920
Dimensions:
Overall: 151 x 199 mm
Medium: Silver gelatin print
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Robert D McKilliam
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: ANMS0227[054]

User Terms

    Description
    A black and white photograph of a street scene in Southport, Queensland. In the background is the Railway Hotel and in the foreground is the mail coach en route to the Tweed.
    The title of the photograph is 'Railway station. Southport. Q. Mail coach leaving for the Tweed.'
    The hotel was built next to the Southport railway station and run by William Downes, a native of Ireland who had come to Australia at the age of 14.
    SignificanceThis image is a part of the Captain Robert McKilliam collection. Captain McKilliam worked for the Aberdeen White Star Line for 32 years and sailed aboard such famous clipper ships as SALAMIS and THERMOPYLAE. He moved to Sydney in 1913 where he served as Assistant Wharf Master on Darling Island.
    HistoryPASSING OF THE PIONEERS - The Queenslander, 11 October 1919

    "The death of Mr. William Downes occurred at his residence, Rosemount, Beenleigh, last Friday, at the age of 78 years. He was a man of most kindly disposition, and had a varied career in different parts of Queensland. Born at Glendalough, County Kildare, Ireland, in 1840, he arrived with his parents at Brisbane in 1854, being then 14 years of age.
    He subsequently left for Toowoomba, which was then known as The Swamp, and worked at fencing; &c, for some time, and then tried his hand at droving and bullock driving. Roma was his next place of residence, and here he commenced business as a cordial manufacturer and butcher. For nine years he was a member of the Municipal Council at Roma, and on two occasions was elected mayor. He took up half shares in Muggelton station, at the head of Yeulba Creek, and afterwards left for Southport, where he started a cordial factory.
    Selling out this business to Messrs. G. and Alf. Later, he built the Railway Hotel, and he resided there for nine years. For three years he was a member of the Southport Shire Council, and chairman for one term.
    From Southport he went to Kilcoy, and controlled the Exchange Hotel for six years. He afterwards moved to the Beenleigh district and purchased the dairy known as Rosemount, where he lived up till the time of his death.
    He was the last surviving foundation member of the Oddfellows' Lodge at Roma, and was invited to attend the Roma Jubilee celebrations held some time ago.
    He was also at one time vice-president of the Beenleigh Show Society.
    Deceased leaves a widow and family of three grown-up children, two boys (Messrs. J. S. and W. J. Downes), and one girl (Mrs. F. Leibinger). The remains were interred in the Beenleigh cemetery on Sunday, the Rev. C. P. J.Clarkson conducting the service at the graveside.
    Additional Titles

    Assigned title: Photograph of two storey wooden building with verandahs on ground and first floor, sign reads Railway Hotel W Downes

    Collection title: Railway station, Southport

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.