Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Sanatorium for consumption at Dalby

Date: 1900-1920
Dimensions:
Overall: 78 x 198 mm
Medium: Silver gelatin print
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Robert D McKilliam
Classification:Photographs
Object Name: Photograph
Object No: ANMS0227[073]
Related Place:Dalby,

User Terms

    Description
    A black and white image of the Dalby Sanatorium for Consumption (tuberculosis) showing a long building with covered walkways connecting the various wings to a central double story structure. The surrounding landscape looks barren and desolate. The title of the image is 'Dalby Sanatorium for consumption'.
    Although the sanitorium for tubercular patients was objected to by many residents of Dalby, it was believed that the dry conditions of the area would help improve the patients condition.


    SignificanceThis image is a part of the Captain Robert McKilliam collection. Captain McKilliam worked for the Aberdeen White Star Line for 32 years and sailed aboard such famous clipper ships as SALAMIS and THERMOPYLAE. He moved to Sydney in 1913 where he served as Assistant Wharf Master on Darling Island.
    HistoryThere was much concern from residents about the suitability for Dalby as a site for the sanatorium. In addition to the concern that Dalby residents would be exposed to tuberculosis, it was also suggested to letters to newspapers that
    the 'swamp' like conditions of the site would be more of a hindrance than a help to heal patients.
    But the building went ahead and in 1899 a glowing account of the facilities was written;

    "CONSUMPTIVE SANATORIUM AT DALBY.
    The "Courier's" Dalby correspondent writes:
    Work at the Consumptive Sanatorium is proceeding apace. The three buildings, or wards, which include the Messrs. Wilson's contract, were completed some time ago, and have been passed by the Government Architect.
    They are three separate structures, with large open verandas right round, and are capable of housing, as at present partitioned, about 20 patients.
    The most notable feature in the construction of the wards is the manner in which the plastering of both ceiling and walls has been effected, there being practically no corners in the rooms at all, and the whole of the work is characterised by
    neatness and excellent finish.
    The administration building, a two-story structure of imposing appearance, is nearing completion under the supervision of the other contractor, Mr. G. Garner. On the ground floor will be the dispensary, consulting-room, &c., and on the second floor the apartments of the medical officer and nursing staff. The dining-hall, lavatories, bathhouses, &o., are also well under way, and the connecting cover ways has been commenced. When these latter are completed it will be possible to traverse under cover the whole circle of buildings.
    Mr. Garner has about a dozen hands engaged on the work, so that a month or two should see the buildings and all accessories completed."
    [Queensland Times, 3 June 1899].
    Additional Titles

    Collection title: Sanatorium for consumption at Dalby

    Assigned title: Depicts a Sanatorium for consumption for Tuberculosis, a very large building with central two storied section and lateral extensions of single storied buildings, all are elevated from ground on short piers and a tiled roof

    Discuss this Object

    Comments

    Please log in to add a comment.