Search the Collection
Advanced Search
Image Not Available

Personal papers of Heinz Lippmann

Date: 1939 - 1941
Medium: Paper
Credit Line: ANMM Collection Gift from Heinz Lippmann
Object Name: Archive series
Object No: ANMS0219

User Terms

    This archive series consists of personal papers of Heinz (Henry) Israel Lippmann which relate to his migration from Germany to England in 1939 and his attendance at O.R.T. Technical engineering school. It includes a reference for Mr Lippmann, certificate of apprenticeship, five photographs of Mr Lippmann and classmates at the ORT, and an inventory of Mr Lippmann's personal effects.

    In July 1940 Mr Lippmann was interned and taken to Australia aboard HMT DUNERA. After he was released in February 1942, Lippmann decided to stay in Australia and joined the 8th Employment Company of the Australian Military Forces.
    SignificanceThese objects are significant as they provide an insight into an important episode in the history of Australian migration
    this century.They are primary sources in the DUNERA case in which the ship, HMT DUNERA, transported German and Austrian Jewish refugees from England to Australia in 1940. On arrival in Australia these men were interned in a camp at Hay and later at Orange in New South Wales then moved toTatura in Victoria.
    HistoryHenry Lippmann was "a DUNERA boy". He was born in 1921 in Berlin and was sent by his parents to a Technical School run by the Jewish worldwide organisation,O.R.T. where he studied electrical engineering. The organisation arranged for him to travel to England in 1939 at the age of 17. Henry spent time at the in Leeds in England before being interned by the British government as a "C-class Enemy Alien".
    Henry volunteered to go to Canada after hearing that the English were sending "C-class Enemy Aliens" overseas. It was not until H.M.T. DUNERA reached Cape Town in South Africa that Henry realised he was going to Australia. Conditions were appalling on board HMT DUNERA. The internees were crowded below deck in an unhygienic environment with little exercise allowed (only ten minutes a day of outdoor air was permitted) and food quality deteriorating as time passed. Body and luggage searches were regularly carried out resulting in the loss of possessions. Refugees aboard told of regular beatings from guards, inadequate facilities and medical treatment.
    On arrival at Darling Harbour (Sydney) on the 6 September 1940, Henry was sent by train and interned in Hay, New South Wales and then transferred to the camp at Tatura in Victoria. In 1941 Henry was released. He decided to stay in Australia and joined the 8th Employment Company of the Australian Army. He then moved to Sydney where he was discharged from the army.

    Additional Titles


    Web title: Personal papers of Heinz Lippmann

    Discuss this Object


    Please log in to add a comment.