Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Kerry and Co

Australian, 1884 - 1917

Institution: Kerry and Co
Charles Kerry (1858-1928) was born near Cooma in rural New South Wales and was apprenticed to A Lamartine's photography studio in Sydney in 1875. He established his own studio in 1884 and by 1885 was running a studio in partnership with C D Jones. This partnership lasted until 1892, when Kerry became sole owner and changed the studio's name to Kerry and Co.

During the 1890s Kerry employed travelling photographers including George Bell who recorded portraits and views of rural properties and Harold Bradley who recorded outdoor work and events around Sydney.

Kerry continued to work in the field and in 1895 he took photographs of Royal National Park for New South Wales Government, photographed Queensland artesian bores and was employed by the New South Wales Government to travel the state and photograph Indigenous Australians. In 1897 Kerry led the first party to reach the summit of Mt Kosciusko in winter conditions and photographed the Jenolan caves.

By 1900 Kerry had turned his studio into one of the largest and most respected photographic establishments in the colony. His new four story premises at 310 George St were designed by the architect H C Kent and the third floor studios alone could accommodate 70 people wanting their portraits taken.

In 1913 Kerry retired leaving the running of the studio to his nephew. The business declined and Kerry and Co closed in 1917.