Search the Collection
Advanced Search

John Henry Bufford

1810 - 1870

Bufford trained as a lithographer in Boston from 1829 to 1831. In 1835 he moved to New York and worked there, returning to Boston in 1839 becoming chief artist in the print shop owned by Benjamin W. Thayer. By 1844 the shop's name changed to: J.H. Bufford & Co. (1844–1851): J.H. Bufford (1851– c 1852) 260 Washington St: Bufford’s Lithographic & Publishing House, also known as Bufford's Print Publishing House, 313 Washington St. (c. 1857–1864): John H. Bufford (c. 1869), 490 Washington St. After Bufford's death in 1870, his sons Frank G. Bufford and John Henry Bufford, Jr. continued the business. By 1879 J.H. Bufford's Sons, Manufacturing Publishers of Novelties in Fine Arts worked from offices at 141-147 Franklin Street, Boston; and in 1881–1882 expanded the enterprise as far as New York and Chicago.