Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Hydrographic Office United States Navy

Established 1866

Institution: Hydrographic Office United States Navy
The United States Hydrographic Office prepared and published maps, charts, and nautical books required in navigation. The office was established by an act of 21 June 1866 as part of the Bureau of Navigation, Department of the Navy. It was transferred to the Department of Defence on 10 August 1949. The office was abolished on 10 July 1962, replaced by the Naval Oceanographic Office.