Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Anchor Line

Institution: Anchor Line
Founded in 1855 by Thomas Henderson of Glasgow. Restructured and named Anchor Line (Henderson Brothers) Ltd. in 1899 it was taken over by Curnard Line in 1911. In 1935 Cunard withdrew from the company and it went into liquidation. The shipping magnate, Lord Runciman, saved the company, allowing it to retain its identity.