Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Amor Mint

Australian, founded 1888

Institution: Amor Mint
In 1874 W.J. Amor was apprenticed to English medallists J.S. and A.B. Wyon. Nine years later he went to Paris, where he remained until 1887. Intending to go to America and work his way home to England, he visited Sydney en route and was persuaded by Robert Hunt, Deputy-Master of the Sydney Mint, to stay and start his own business. Amor established the business in 1888 and married the daughter of the Chief Engineer of the Sydney Mint. His first work, a medal for the Women's Exhibition of 1888, was highly skilled, as was his Australian Centenary medal of the same year.

The business was based for many years in Mountain Street, Chippendale. In 1914 it moved to 24 Wentworth Street, Sydney, and three years later became a limited company, in which principal employees were given an interest. In 1935 Amor sold his share to A.H. Byatt, retaining a position as Advisory Director of the business. In 1942 the business moved to 1 Marshall Street, Surrry Hills, and was later renamed Amor-Sanders, continuing under the management of Ronald Byatt for many years.

Taken from Museum of Victoria, W.J. Amor Mint, Medal Maker, New South Wales', (19/05/2011)