Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Kalamazoo Ltd

Institution: Kalamazoo Ltd
In 1904 Oliver Morland, head of the English printing house of Morland & Impey Ltd, heard of a loose-leaf binder - constructed on a flexible thong principle - which had just been invented in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He acquired world rights, excluding North and South America. His company then started production of the loose-leaf binder, called a Kalamazoo, after its birthplace.

In December 1915 Charles Howie Pty Ltd in Melbourne started marketing Kalamazoo loose leaf ledgers in Australia. In 1918 an agreement was reached between Charles E. Howie and Morland & Impey Ltd (now known as Kalamazoo Ltd) for the establishment of a joint company to be known as Kalamazoo (Aust) Pty Ltd to take over the entire Kalamazoo trade of the Commonwealth of Australia.

On 28th January 1919 Kalamazoo (Aust) Ltd was incorporated and registered in Victoria with Australian and British capital, and Charles Howie was appointed Chairman and Managing Director. He held those positions until 1969. In 1927 Head Office moved to 330 George Street, Sydney.

Kalamazoo was purchased by Colleagues Information Solutions in 2005 after which the Kalamazoo Group was formed.