Search the Collection
Advanced Search

Triumph

Institution: Triumph
Triumph first began operation in 1886 from a barn in Heubach, Württemberg, Germany. The corsetry business was set up with funds of 2000 gold marks, and employed six staff. 1933 saw the foundations laid for the company's international expansion when it opened its first international branch in Zurzach, Switzerland. From the 1950s to the 1980s the company spread throughout Europe, North and South America, Asia, the Middle East and Australia, and now employs over 30,000 staff, with annual sales over 1.6 billion US dollars.

The name "Triumph" was registered as a trademark in 1902, and was renamed "Triumph International" in 1953 to reflect the company's increasingly international status. From 1960 the corporate structure of the company was decentralised. This business strategy saw the use of locally based designers and business partners with particularly strong commitments to regional fashion trends and cultural conditions.

In 1969, the Triumph 70 Fashion Show broke new ground as the world's largest international fashion show for lingerie and underwear. 23 models and dancers travelled a total of 72,000 kilometers and appeared before over 30,000 spectators in many European and Asian countries. By the 1970s the company's core product group of corsetry had extended to swimwear and daywear and nightwear.