Search the Collection
Advanced Search

George Unite

George Unite established his business in Birmingham in 1825. He had been apprenticed to Jospeh Willmore in 1810 and James Hillard. In 1852 he was listed as a silversmith operating from the premises at 16 Thavies Inn, Holborn, London which were also used by Nathanial Mills & Sons. By 1854, Unite advertised an extensive range of silverware usually of smaller items such as salt cellars, spoons, forks and napkin rings from his premises at 65 Caroline Street Birmingham. In 1880 the firm became George Unite & Sons. After Unite's death in 1896 after his two business partners dissolved their partnership in 1897. George Unite & Sons amalgamated into a limited company with William Henry Lyde, an electroplate manufacturer operating out of 50 Newhall Hill, Birmingham. The new business was registered as George Unite Sons & Lyde Ltd on 14th July 1928.