Search the Collection
Advanced Search

James Dixon & Sons

Institution: James Dixon & Sons
In 1836 the firm begins to make spoons and forks from nickel silver and from 1848 electroplate.
In the 1920s the firm began to use stainless steel to make both flatware and hollowware. Stainless steel spoons and forks manufactured by James Dixon & Son carried the name "staybrite" and "Firth".
In the 1980s the firm had a financial collapse and the production in Cornish Place closed in 1992.

CHRONOLOGY:
Dixon & Smith c. 1806-1823
James Dixon & Son c. 1823-1835
James Dixon & Sons 1835-1920
James Dixon & Sons Ltd 1920
Absorbed into British Silverware Production c. 1984